Monday, August 8, 2011

Vacation Day 5, From New Amsterdam to Old Amsterdam

After 8 hours of flight time, a layover at JFK and more than 29 hours since we wokeup in Syracuse, we've finally made it to our second layover in Dublin. The trip from JFK was uneventful, but I was unable to get any real sleep, leaving me in a slight stupor for our arrival into Dublin. After clearing immigration we proceeded to the connection terminals for a look around. We were able to sit down for an Irish breakfast at Harvest Market. I ordered eggs, toast, a rasher of bacon, grilled tomato, and mushroom, while Mary had the porridge (Irish oatmeal). We should be departing within 2 hours for Amsterdam. I can't wait because I really need a shower.

Afternoon update - We've finally arrived! On the flight from Dublin to AMS I sat next a Irish Coast Guard helicopter pilot. We talked shop, I recommended he look into ERAU for some.further collegiate level education (he said he wanted to start a degree), and he told me about Schipol airport. Upon entrance to the Netherland the immigration officer asked how long we would be staying, I responded "two days and then we will be going to Brussels." His response, "So you think they're better than we are huh?" You have to love immigration with a sense of humor. After that interaction we proceeded to the VVV office where we bought our Iamsterdam cards and one-way tickets to Centraal Station. When I presented the sales agent with my credit card she remarked, "Your last name is very Dutch, did your grandfather go to America?" My response,
"More like my great, great, great, great grandfather in the 1600s." My family came from Utrecht, but my surname, Terwilliger, was created in the 1600s in New Palz, NY. Anyways, we are now all checked into our B&B, showered, changed, and ready to start exploring Amsterdam!

Evening update - We decided to set out and see some sites. The first, the Het Grachtenguis, was not open on Mondays. The next stop, the Amsterdam Tulip was a non-site with very little to see besides the gift shop. We walked by the Anne Frank Hius (House), but the line was four people wide and wrapped around the corner. We eventually found ourselves on a tram back to Centraal Station for a boat tour included with our Iamsterdam card. Mary and I had to keep waking each other up as the slow rocking movement of the boat was putting us to sleep. Next up dinner at the highly recommended Seasons.














No comments:

Post a Comment