Friday, March 18, 2011

Virtual Exploration Before Visiting

The other day I was participating in a forum discussion, advertising my blog, and a fellow poster began talking about the use of Google Street View and how she likes to explore various locales in Europe. I immediately understood the point she was making (how GREAT this thing is) and began thinking about how I myself use it in my planning process. For a long time I have been a fan of Google Maps (before that MapQuest) and was very excited when more satellite imagery was made available. Now many cities have street view access coupled with the overhead views.

I find myself spending hours exploring the various sites I plan to visit and using Street View to plan and verify routes in unfamiliar territory so that when it is time for boots on the ground, I will not be in completely unknown territory. It is one thing to be familiar with a map, it is another altogether to have seen the complete route in advance. Now when I look for a small, hard to find shop I am able to see where the store is, what the store front looks like, and the area around the shop. The ability to explore the surrounding area is a great capability since I am now able to find visual markers to help me out when I make my way there.

In addition, Google Map (and Street View) makes a great way to explore other cities I have been thinking of making a destination for future trips. I can type what I am looking for into the Search bar and the results will be populated on the side (in list form) and on the map (with markers that correspond to the list). I can then click through other people's reviews or go to the Street View to get a better view of the area. I think this tool holds a lot of potential as a way to reconnect to places I've been and as a means to explore places on the horizon.



No comments:

Post a Comment