Monday, March 14, 2011

Tackling the Musee du Louvre

The Louvre, a storehouse for some of mankind's greatest creations, can be a daunting endeavor for the uninformed traveler. Between the four floors (Lower Ground, the Ground, the First, and the Second) and the multitudes of paintings, sculptures, and items from antiquity, it can be easy to get overwhelmed. That is when research really pays off.

I myself have never visited this iconic landmark, but I have been warned that it could take days, weeks, months, even years to see everything. So the first thing I have done is identified the major items of interest for my trip (in order of personal importance):
1) The Mona Lisa (Leonardo da Vinci)
2) Aprodite (Venus de Milo)
3) Napoleon III Apartments
4) French Crown Jewels
5) Medieval Foundations (of the Louvre)
6) Egyptian Collection
7) Greek Collection
8) Middle Ages Collection

The next step takes some careful consideration, mapping out my path. I would recommend downloading a map of the Louvre to orient yourself to the sites important to you. Knowing full well that the Mona Lisa is one of the most sought out painting in the Louvre's collection, I will plan on seeing it early in my visit. I've also heard there can be a long line for admission to the museum at the main entry point. So I will focus on using one of the less popular entries, the Passage Richelieu (off the Rue de Rivoli). The Louvre's website, provides a description of all the entrances.

Using the previously downloaded copy of the map of the Louvre, I have ordered all the sites accordingly in order to see the items of most importance by geographic location. I understand that I may not have sufficient time or I may have an abundance of time depending on the number of fellow Louvre visitors. Therefore, I have placed the items of most importance (i.e., Mona Lisa and Aprodite) early in my plan:















1) Entry at the Passage Richelieu (Lower Ground Floor)
2) After entrance, I will proceed to the Medieval Louvre (foundations)
3) I will then make my way to a stairwell to the Ground Floor















1) Stairways up from Lower Ground Floor
2) I will then proceed to the Aprodile (Venus de Milo) statue
3) After spending time admiring the Aprodite, I will make my way to a stairway up to the First Floor.















This is the floor where the majority of the sites I want to see reside.
1) Stairway from Ground Floor
2) I will make my way to the Mona Lisa (Leonardo da Vinci)
3) Then I will return the way I came, proceeding to the Greek collection.
4) I will continue on through the Egyptian Collection
5) Proceeding to the Middle ages collection.
6) Visit the Napoleon Apartments
7) See the Crown Jewels
8) Finally, locating a stairwell to the Lower Ground Floor and to the exit.

Since none of the sites on my list are on the Second Floor and I will have a limited time frame, I will not be proceeding up to that floor on this trip. However, as I previously stated, my timing will depend on how busy the museum is on the day of my visit. I may or may not have an opportunity to visit everything on my list. Yet I will have oriented myself to see the items of most importance (to me) and prepared for a return visit. Hopefully, you will find this information useful in preparing for your own visit to the Musee du Louvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment