Friday, March 4, 2011

TripAdvisor is a must for me

If you've followed my posts it will be evident that I am obsessed with TripAdvisor.com. I use this collection of reviews as a major resource while researching my personal travel planning. I know it has become the bane of some hotelier/restaurateur's existence, but I think it is great for expressing your opinion and reading about specific nuances and charms of locales that engaged other like minded travelers.

One of the major draws to me is their stratification of reviews based on geography, activities, restaurants, lodging (B&B and hotels), and now flights. For example, when I look for a hotel I use the map display feature to locate hotels in a specific section of town. I then further discriminate based on costs and popularity. I will compile a list of the top 6 or so places that look interesting to me, read the individual reviews, and most importantly look at pictures that the reviewers have posted.

To me the pictures posted by the reviewers, not the operators, offer the most revealing look into what you will be getting for your hard earned cash (click this link to see what I mean). Reviewers do not gloss over small cramped quarters, dirty bathrooms, soiled bed cloths, or room views overlooking commercial air conditioners. Instead they show both the deficiencies and the things that make the lodgings wonderful. Beautiful room decor (I like exposed wood beams and the European glass partial shower shields), comfortable furniture, unique ambiance, and those special touches that make the stay that much more enjoyable.

In addition to the reviews, I find TripAdvisor's travel forums to be constantly active, with participants immersed in mostly friendly conversation seeking information, relaying recommendations, and providing trip reports. The members of these forums are not limited to American's, but also include foreign travelers and locals as well, who provide their own unique insights regarding where you are looking at visiting. If you are looking for information about a travel destination, foreign or domestic, try out TripAdvisor yourself and see if you agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment