Thursday, March 24, 2011

Foreign Language, barrier or challenge

When I first succumbed to the travel bug I selected a destination where language would not be a major issue, the UK. But while on work assignment in England, I was provided with an opportunity to spend a weekend in Paris. Having been a last minute trip, I wasn't able to do my usual level of research. Luckily, since so many English speakers visit, it is possible to get by with just the tradition greetings and salutations.

However, for my next trip we will be spending a longer time there and I would like to learn more than just the tourist basics. For this I have turned to several resources. The first is free language podcasts on iTunes, which are available at various experience levels. The second is my local library, which has an assortment of CDs, DVDs, and books on introductory French. The third resource is free interpreter applications for Apple and Android devices, which can be used to translate phrases and hear rudimentary pronunciation. The final resource is the internet, which contains an abundance of blogs and trip reports from those that have experienced European cultural expectations first hand. Using all of these resources together will reduce my chances of committing a major faux pas, while teaching me respectful verbal interaction with the locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment