Thursday, March 24, 2011

Travel Theming Follow Through, Belgian Beer Class

In an effort to learn more about one of my upcoming destinations, my wife and I have signed up for a Belgian Beer Class with Total Wine, a local wine and beer store that aficionados in my area love. Total Wine offers wine and beer tastings and courses throughout the year to introduce their consumers to products and aspects of consumption they might not otherwise be familiar with. For me this is a great way to learn more about the beers of Belgium, while also experiencing an important cultural aspect of the country before we leave.

Having just tried a Lambic beer for the first time a month ago, I'm really excited to learn about the other types. My only other experience with Belgian beers has been Stella Artois's lager and Hoegaarden's Wit (or Wheat) beers, two major brands available here in the US. One of the major sites we plan on visiting in Brussels will be the Cantillon Brewery, where they still produce Lambic. Hopefully after this course, I will have a better understanding of what to look for. If not, at least the locals will be able to set me straight.

As an FYI, I also recently watched a very interesting documentary on Netflix titled Beer Wars. If you love beer, I highly suggest watching this movie. I enjoyed it and has ratcheted up my preference for regional craft beers over mass produced Pilsner.



No comments:

Post a Comment