Friday, March 18, 2011

Staying connected (when you want to)

One of the things I like about Europe is that I can leave my phone at home. I do not have to worry about exorbitant connection fees, the phone battery, or the daily reminder of job responsibilities back home. I can focus on absorbing the sites, smells, and experiences of wherever I am at. However, sometimes I do need to make a call, such as checking in for a tour, contacting a restaurant or hotel, or to talk with family and friends. When I find myself in that situation I rely on Skype, a software application that can be installed on a PC, Phone (use WiFi), or iPod/iPad.

Skype allows for free communication with anyone else that has it installed or to phones for a fairly low per minute charge, which you can charge in predetermined blocks (i.e., $10) to your credit card. The only requirement is an internet connection (i.e., WiFi), which can usually be obtained for free from my lodgings, cafes, and sometimes fast food joints (McDonald's, Subway, etc...). You can even use it to check your voice mail on your phone back home.

Last year I found myself in Bath, UK with the need to check into a tour. Due to some prior mis-communication they booked us on the wrong day and needed our confirmation to change it. Strolling down a side street I spied a Subway sandwich shop. I popped in, bought a Coca-Cola (I felt it was the least I could do) and logged onto their free WiFi service. Within 5 minutes, down £1 (for the Coke) and $.12 less on my Skype account I had all my arrangement's reconfirmed for a tour that afternoon.

The one rule I have for all of my travel lodgings is they must have free WiFi. In addition, more and more public venues, such as airports, are offering free or limited-use (first 30 minutes free) WiFi connection. I recommend researching free WiFi for the areas you will be traveling. While I may not want to be forced to carry around a connection to the real world, I do want the option to reconnect when it is convenient for me. After all, I am on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment