Monday, July 18, 2011

Creating a Packing List

After suffering from a herniated disc, I'm now completely onboard with Rick Steve's pack light (and right) philosphy. So in preparation for my own trip overseas in three weeks, I've compiled my packing list. Over the course of the next week I will be assembling this list in my eBags Weekender Convertible bag and making sure it is well under the 22lbs weight limit for carryon baggage imposed by the airline. For now (expect changes) here is what I will be including for 9 days/8 nights abroad:

Clothing
2 x dress shirts (with collars, 1 white, 1 striped)
21 x casual shirts (i.e., polo and button down*)
1 x white cotton t-shirt
43 x tech/quick-dry t-shirts*
1 x pair black dress pants (new quick-dry/stain resistent material)
1 x pair blue jeans (I know, heavy and hard to dry, but they're rugged)
4 x pair quick-dry underwear*
4 x pair quick-dry socks*
1 x pair Khaki cargo shorts*
1 x pair sneakers/sandals*
1 x pair dress/walking shoes
1 x reversible brown/black belt*
1 x SEV travel vest*
1 x dinner/sport jacket (planning on several fancy restaurants)
1 x packable rain jacket
*Item to be worn during departure day for overnight airline trip.

Toiletries/Medications
Prescription medications
1 x Goldbond powder (amazing stuff!)
1 x packable detergent and body wash strips
1 x toothbrush
1 x toothpaste
1 x disposable razor
1 x deodorant
1 x blister pads

Electronics
1 x phone (Android, WiFi capable, microSD, camera)
1 x spare phone battery
1 x phone charge cable
1 x 4-port USB charger (with European power adapter)
1 x headphones
1 x headphone splitter (1 into 2)

Miscellaneous
1 x passport
1 x travel umbrella
1 x packable daypack
1 x hidden pocket
1 x printed out copies of paperwork (digital copies stored on phone and online at GoogleDocs)
1 x spare pair of glasses

I also like to estimate the replacement cost for my own record and in case I need to make an insurance claim for total loss of items (hopefully never necessary). Expect updates as this list evolves over the course of the next week. I would like to have everything packed up and ready to go, well before I need to.

7/21/2012 Update - Majority of items packed, with plenty of room and weight left. I decided to add two additional shirts, which should help extend the number of times I need to do launcry (hopefully only once). Now I have to actually pack the items using compression bags to save as much space as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment