Friday, June 3, 2011

Taste of Europe, at Home

My next trip to Europe is only two months away and I can't wait, but in the meantime I've been trying to find pockets of European culinary influence here in Orlando. The most obvious choice is restaurants, but unfortunately, that really only leaves French food. It's not easy to find Dutch or Belgian focused eateries. The best options I have found for these two countries can be found in my local grocery store and beer/wine shops. Here in Florida, Publix is the predominant grocer, and luckily for me they offer a vast selection. The Publix in my neighborhood has an ethnic food aisle that contains food from all over the world. In addition, the beer and wine selection is excellent as well, oftentimes including many smaller European brands.

However, to find those rare treats like Kriek, Lambic, Doubles, and Triples I turn to Total Wine. One of my favorite options though, is a national chain called World Market, which carries food, alcolol, furnishings, and other household goods from all over the globe. Locally, I'm quite fortunate to also have Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe, whose owners have recently opened the Magnolia Square Market a German deli and market. For those times I reminisce about the UK, we also have The British Shoppe.


No comments:

Post a Comment