Monday, June 20, 2011

Outdoor Markets

Outdoor markets are a great way to connect with a local population and buy fresh or regionally unique food. I've been to several in the UK, Paris, and domestically in the US and my opinion is that the majority are worth spending time exploring and sampling goods. A year ago I stumbled onto one of the most interesting outdoor markets I've ever been too, the Rue de Grenelle Market.

Having only come to Paris for a two-night weekend, I was excited to find this vibrant local market on my final day, just outside the doors of my hotel at Motte Picquet-Grenelle (15e, near 7e). The market was bustling, but not packed shoulder to shoulder like some of the popular tourist sites in the city. This was a spot for locals, but anyone was welcome to peruse the aisle. The vendor offerings included jewelry (I bought my daughter a pair of earrings), clothing (I bought my wife a scarf), food (I bought myself breakfast), and other assorted produce and knick-knacks. It was a pleasent respite from some of the more souvenier type offerings of the shops around the Eiffel Tower/Champ de Mars.

Flash-forward nine months to June 2011 and I found myself at a local Sunday outdoor market in Orlando, that while smaller, did evoke similar feelings as that Parisian market. I strolled through the booths with my wife, checking out the quality of the locally grown organic produce, sampled and purchased artisan bread (french bread), and people-watched while we explored. Six weeks from now, we will be visiting the city of light together and I cannot wait to share the intimate taste of local Parisian life  that I experienced with her. In the meanwhile, we have our local markets to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment