Monday, February 28, 2011

Theming a travel plan


For those that like to get off the beaten path, the idea of themed travel may hold a certain appeal. I have recently begun looking at my own travel plans and have noticed some common trends. I tend to group my perspective for planning around common themes, especially food and drink (i.e., Lambic beer, wine, etc...). In a recent conversation about travel, the idea of culinary travel was brought up. This travel theme has become more prevalent with travel shows and writers, providing an intimate immersion in a foreign culture that can be started at home. I know I have personal researched the countries I will be visiting by watching movies, reading books, and eating food central to the stereotypes of the cultures. I find this is a good way to excite myself and gain a little more understanding and respect for the locales I will be traveling to.

For my own trip to Europe, I have planned a major theme of cycling tours. Last time I was in Paris I watched groups of tourists happily engaged in group bike tours. They were smiling and peddling, while burning off their epicurean delights of the day. I decided for my next trip I must participate in one of these tours. After some further research I was able to locate several reputable tours for the three cities we will be traveling to, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. For me the idea of getting out amongst the locales, at the street level is very appealing. In the end I was able add five cycle tours to my trip. The first is a day tour of the city of Amsterdam, which will feature major tourist sites, some local history, and orient me in the city for future visits. The second is a countryside tour of the area outside Amsterdam along the Amstel River featuring houseboats, farms, and of course windmills. The third is a city tour of Brussels, featuring local sights and a stop at a local pub for their world famous Belgian Frites. The fourth will be a city tour of Paris, featuring the common elements of the other city tours and a picnic lunch in a park. The final will be a day trip to the Palace of Versailles.

Everyone’s personal interests vary, but identifying themes of interest can definitely improve your own travel experience. Instead of focusing on other people’s “must see” sites, find items that interest you and incorporate them into your own itinerary. Before you set out to develop your plan, take some introspective time to think about what you love, art, food, drink, architecture, language, or any other elements of a locale. Take the time to research these and you will be able to define your own tour, resulting in a appreciation of what makes these cultures so unique.

If you are interested in learning more about the specific bike tours I will be taking, here are the web sites:

Amsterdam City Bike Tour
http://www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com/Default.aspx?tabid=41

Amsterdam Countryside Bike Tour

http://www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com/Default.aspx?tabid=24
Brussels City Bike Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment