Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buying European Rail Tickets in the US

My upcoming trip to Benelux and France will be my first experience with purchasing European rail tickets while stateside. In the past I've used a rail pass (BritRail) for rail travel in the UK and loved it. However, this trip only has two very short rail links and will not warrant the cost or intricacies associated with using a rail pass. Purchasing European tickets requires several considerations, how to purchase and when to purchase.

There are to options to consider when determining how to purchase, directly through the rail service provider or through an outside purchaser. When it comes to purchasing with the rail provider, I have read about some people experiencing a disconnect in the payment system for US based credit cards. Evidently, there have been mixed reviews regarding acceptance of credit cards and US based addresses for purchase of Thayls (http://www.thalys.com/nl/en) trains. The one sure workaround is to call the provider directly, which most likely requires a morning call using Skype and payment in Euros. Otherwise, it is possible to buy from an agency such as RailEurope (http://www.raileurope.com/index.html). The downside of this option is you will pay a service charge, but you will have support from the purchaser and and the ability to pay in USD.

The other consideration is when to make your purchase. Some like to be fluid with their travel, I probably do not fall into this category. I prefer the important details to be locked down and put to rest. Those who are flexible have the option to purchase their tickets at the station, but risk not getting a seat at their preferred travel time. For those who are like me, the best time to buy is 90 days in advance of the trip, when specials are offered and demand is low. Rail providers like Thalys base the ticket price directly off of demand. In this scenario the potential does exist for some great last minute deals if your travelling in the shoulder season or at an off-peak time. But as you know (if you've read my other entries) I am a planner and like to know my major details ahead of time, which includes a fixed price for my transportation. I'm sure others have had very different experiences with rail, if so please post in my comments how you go about dealing with foreign rail travel. Look for my next update in the coming weeks as I prepare to take part in a travel writer workshop.

For some more information regarding purchasing European rail tickets see the following sites:

http://travel.usatoday.com/deals/inside/2010-07-22-europe-train-tickets_N.htm

http://www.frommers.com/articles/1722.html

http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/comparetickets.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment